Wednesday, April 14, 2010

For the record

I'd just like to state, for the record, that I like Barack Obama.

I like his approach to things. His job tasks him with situations that variously call for the iron fist or the velvet glove, or the fabled combination between the two, and I feel he has made a sincere and effective effort to make the best of any situation. He has cut deals and he has moved forward alone; he has had the vision to promise things and the honesty to try and deliver on those promises. I do not feel I have received everything I have been told I would get, but we are less than half way through his first (perhaps, let us be honest, only) term, and I feel that he is making good time. Not that I don't want everything, and now, but I understand that his are uphill battles. I can afford a modicum of patience.

Furthermore, I like him as a person. I feel his dealings with the American people and our allies and enemies abroad have been fair. It would be hard to say whether or not the American people are getting what they want, because different people want different things, but I feel that his promises of action and transparency are being met - though he does not necessarily deserve all the credit.

He has been charged with backroom deals in regards to the health care bill, but every aspect of that bill was always front and center in the national consciousness because the Republicans made sure of it. A little partisanship is not only good but crucial to democracy because it keeps the participants honest. That being said, I think we may have too much of a good thing these days - but sooner or later somebody is bound to figure out what really works and what doesn't.

I support Barack Obama. I support health care. And if I change my mind about both or either, I'll explain why.

No comments:

Post a Comment